Wednesday, December 30, 2009

losing a child...

OK, breathe again, nothing tragic has happened! Well not in the traditional sense of tragedy anyway. But the middle one passed the test for her learners permit. No biggie, i hear you say - but I disagree. This year she has turned 16, started working and has become involved with a boy (the best boyfriend a parent could hope for actually). So she really is growing up and becoming her own person and each of these little steps towards adulthood is a step further away from being my little girl. Yes, I know that this is the whole point of being a parent - to raise the next generation of adults, but it still hurts. So why has the learners permit got me sniffling? Contrary to other parents who complain about being a taxi service, I find time in the car with the kids some of the best times. Sometimes we sing our hearts out to 'drag queen' music, sometimes we solve the worlds problems and sometimes we're just quiet together - so I'm really going to miss it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh you big sook!! (just one of the many reasons why I love you) I am with you on this one!! I am so sad for that gorgeous little red haired terror that grew up and became this beautiful girl (read semi-woman) and the fact that I have missed so much of it. Still, you've said it yourself lots of times, "she's got her head on straight" - she'll be alright. Terrifying though.......on the roads, and allowed to be??? Kiss her and tell her congratulations from me. Also tell her ALL the other drivers out there are maniacs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she has become the road nazi 'you're not supposed to park within 10 metres of an intersection', 'you're supposed to indicate for 3 seconds before changing lanes' etc etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - my daughter became the road nazi too ... and became very annoying as she proceeded to tell me all the things I did wrong! Hi naughty nanna and thanks for joining my blubberings :)

    ReplyDelete